Rear subframe bush removal tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks JuhaV,
    I am almost there. Everything that I thought would be difficult to undo has been much easier, even the bolts with the 6mm allen key ends!!
    Found that 'Plus Gas' still exists! Bought an aerosol can when we were down in Cornwall, seems to work MUCH better than WD40.
    The bush pulling tool is now completed (my toolmaker at work did a few hours of subcontracting for BMW!!).
    Still in 2 minds about dropping the subframe completely, but I have an old supermarket bakers trolley that I use to wheel about machinery & it just slides over the top of my trolley jacks front wheels. my main concern is preventing damage to the rear disc backing plates when lowering the subframe. The trolley should keep it well off the ground & easy to manoeuvre from beneath the car, solving the other problem that worried me (getting the damn thing from under the car).
    Would post some photos if i knew how.
    Howard.

Comment

Oh another tip is to remove the rear calipers and zip tie them to the body - this way you don't need to disconnect the hydraulic lines.

Comment

When removing mine I found that taking the carbon filter off the fuel tank improved access to the 2x hex bolts on the passenger side.

Comment

Well it's off!!
          OMG that was an effort! Yes it does balance on the jack but it's terrifying until you get to that point (wondering which way it may tumble!!!). I inched it down using 3 axle stands under the ends & centre of the beam.
          It is bloody heavy as a unit, I can now see why some split the diff from the beam. May need some help jacking & lining up when re-installing.
          The mounting bushes popped out very easily with my home made tool (well, mostly made at work!), 10 minutes a side & no heat needed. Applied Plus-Gas 30 mins before & hey presto!!
          Busy rust removing rust on both chassis & subframe unit at the moment. 2 pack paint doesn't like cold, damp weather so I'd better get my skates on.
          Thanks for all the input so far guys.
          Howard

Comment

Working...
          X