New owner black s50 grey interior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New owner black s50 grey interior

Very pleased to say that yesterday I fulfilled a 15+ year ambition and bought an M Coupe. It's a 99 Cosmos black S50 with black and grey interior, making it one of just 13 U.K. cars in that spec (thanks to DaveP for compiling the list).

It's not immaculate by any stretch of the imagination, but has a good history and most importantly, drove very well. Car is already booked in to have sills removed and rust proofed, as well as the bubbling wing mirrors and scratched boot lid, all of which require attention. Most of the work required is cosmetic and having spent years reading this forum, I felt they were all easily remedied.

I have also received Aceman's badge refurb kit and seat bushes (thanks aceman) ordered an Earl's clutch Hose, new BMW badges, Storm V2 gear knob in platinum (thought it would suit the grey interior). After these are fitted I will be getting the alloys powder coated, and hopefully the car will be looking much fresher.

Thanks to this forum, I have supplied 'how to' guides for the mirrors and sills to the body shop carrying out the paint work and rust treatment etc. It's an invaluable source of knowledge and experience, so thanks to everyone who contributes.

Further down the line I will be getting the leather sorted, will probably get new cam covers and get the engine cleaned up. I'll be keeping it as a second car as I do a lot of driving with my job, but I will definitely make the effort to drive the car as regularly as I can.

If anyone can help with the following questions, I would appreciate it

1. I want to change the transmission oil as well as fit the clutch Hose and new gear stick,and have read Royal Purple Synchromax is good. How many litres will I need?

2. Fuel gauge is faulty....any known issues with these/cures?

3. Is changing the throttle cable a worthwhile job to get done? Have read it can improve power delivery etc

Thanks again and look forward to keeping you up to date with my progress and will also start a journal if I get time. Will also make a site donation in due course as I'm now an owner!

Cheers,

Nick

Hi!

Not in a position to answer your questions but thank you for sharing that write up. I hope the car gives you many years of happy motoring! :)

Comment

Congratulations , fuel gauge may be an sender issue rather than the cluster also throttle cable can cause lack of full throttle so worth checking its fully working before replacing.

Comment

Throttle cable probably has never been changed,not expensive,but a bit fidily! yes it will make a difference,dont adjust anything except the cable.. then go from there,gearbox oil,it dosnt take much oil and is best done on a ramp the same time that you replace the hose,a weighted gear knob certainly makes adifference too i use a STORM one,,,a lovely crafted thing.Good luck with your journey's .

Comment

About 1.5l of gearbox oil so you will need 2* 1l bottles.

Also check the constant pressure valve isn't leaking, this is a really cheap fix. Mine weeped and found it's way in to the bell housing and contaminated the clutch.

Comment

Welcome Nick
            1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Working...
            X