Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Springs and Shocks - Which ones? Ride comfort..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by urquattrogus View Post
    Hmm yes maybe springs that are fractionally lower would be the goldilocks version!

Struggling to see where I can get Rogue rear top mounts so think I'm going to fling on some OEM ones.

Another thing that made me choke a bit was that a rear Diff bushing is £200 from BMW! Haven't ordered yet but that seems pretty over the top!
    Maybe we could try for a group buy on the diff mounting bush. I suspect it’s an item that several of us would be interested in - mine’s seen better days for sure
    Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
    ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
    Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

I've been following this with interest as I'm currently involved in a complete refresh of the underneath of my car, including suspension. My criteria was for a fast road setup and an occasional track day, but I do want a small height reduction of about 20mm as well.

I was originally looking at KW V3's or Bilstein PSS10's (which I have on my 993 and absolutely love). However, after thinking about it for a while, I thought both those options might be bit of an overkill. Not to mention, expensive. Although I haven't discounted them entirely, I am leaning towards more basic height adjustable coilovers, or standard dampers with lowering springs. Just a bit concerned about ride quality if going down the lowering springs route.

Lots of great info on this thread, but nobody seems to have mentioned KW V2's as a quality coilover without the cost of full adjustability? Any thoughts?
      2001 S54 Silver with Red/Black interior. Totally standard.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tony View Post
        Maybe we could try for a group buy on the diff mounting bush. I suspect it’s an item that several of us would be interested in - mine’s seen better days for sure
        I'd be up for that

Comment

I am running H&R springs with the B8s (and the H&R arbs) and the ride is still really good IMO, certainly compared to a more modern sports car. It is not too low either, has better ground clearance that either of my other two cars. Biggest improvement for me was removing the lift and dive under acceleration and braking but overall it is very planted. My OEM shocks were removed at around 50K miles so may have been past their best anyway.

S50 Black, H&R Arbs/ Springs, B8s, Larini Exhaust

Comment

Are H&R springs a 30mm drop?

Comment

Originally posted by Hatter View Post
              Are H&R springs a 30mm drop?
              Yes quoted at 30mm but I am not convinced that they drop it that much. I personally would not want to go to the trouble of fitting them and have less drop.

Not sure on prices elsewhere but Autodoc will deliver them for £236. They have the B8s for £586 delivered as well so £822 for the set which seems good value to me
              S50 Black, H&R Arbs/ Springs, B8s, Larini Exhaust

Comment

I have coilovers on mine (KW v1s) along with ARBs.

I love the look (although it’s far too low) and the handling but wish they were more forgiving. Unfortunately I can’t get to the adjustment for the rears without pulling the trim apart.

I’m minded to sell these and go to something less track honed as (1) these are probably due a proper refresh as they have been on for a while and (2) the rear top mounts are starting to rattle (or maybe that’s the subframe...).

I assume I’m looking at either the stock setup or Konis (Potentially with lowering springs). What is the preference of the two?
                ‘99 M Coupe | ‘07 M5 Touring

Comment

Maph, good to know and that's a great price. Unfortunately, they only seem to have the B8 Offroads for sale at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Seca Blue View Post
                    That’s what I have and I’m perfectly happy with the ride.
                    I haven’t fitted the arb’s yet - only been in garage for 3years as I’ve not felt the need yet.
                    My only issue with the set up is it’s just a smidge too high imo. I’d be happy with a 15-20 mm drop which Bilstein confirmed would be fine with the B6’s in case you ever feel the same.
                    'Seca, do you have a photo of your car with this setup (B6 and stock springs) just so I can see what the ride height is like?? Still deciding whether to get the Eibachs at the same time, probably will.....

Comment

Originally posted by DBA086 View Post
                      I have coilovers on mine (KW v1s) along with ARBs.

I love the look (although it’s far too low) and the handling but wish they were more forgiving. Unfortunately I can’t get to the adjustment for the rears without pulling the trim apart.

I’m minded to sell these and go to something less track honed as (1) these are probably due a proper refresh as they have been on for a while and (2) the rear top mounts are starting to rattle (or maybe that’s the subframe...).

I assume I’m looking at either the stock setup or Konis (Potentially with lowering springs). What is the preference of the two?
                      That's really interesting, as I was leaning towards V1's or V2's. One of the reasons was that I was hoping they'd have got the damper valving and spring rates properly matched (I also like the full stainless steel construction). I believe the V1's are running 400 lb springs at the front, which doesn't seem overly stiff, but it's very difficult to tell by pure numbers. I can't find any spring rates for the H&R springs as they're only advertised as being progressive.

As an aside, the common combination of B6/B8 with H&R's seems to get a bad response here:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...n-sport-shocks

Although admittedly that thread is now quite old, and of course, everyone's opinion is different.

Urquattrogus, I hope you don't mind this discussion on your thread. I'll start another one if it's diverging from yours....

Comment

Originally posted by Hatter View Post
                        That's really interesting, as I was leaning towards V1's or V2's. One of the reasons was that I was hoping they'd have got the damper valving and spring rates properly matched (I also like the full stainless steel construction). I believe the V1's are running 400 lb springs at the front, which doesn't seem overly stiff, but it's very difficult to tell by pure numbers. I can't find any spring rates for the H&R springs as they're only advertised as being progressive.

As an aside, the common combination of B6/B8 with H&R's seems to get a bad response here:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...n-sport-shocks

Although admittedly that thread is now quite old, and of course, everyone's opinion is different.

Urquattrogus, I hope you don't mind this discussion on your thread. I'll start another one if it's diverging from yours....
                        No worries, the more discussion the better, all Grist for the mill etc.

I think the B6 with standard springs or Eibach should be less harsh than with the H&R's or the B8 & H&R.

Eibach springs are designed for standard shocks apparently, and I don't think a bit more travel/float in of the B6 is such a bad thing.

Think is though, apparently some bilstein dampers have changed over the years, and the first e36 ones were overley harsh before they reputedly changed them a little.

I like coilovers but even SS ones get dirty and difficult to adjust, and I think if you got for coilovers its money well spend having someone fit and set them up just right.

Comment

^^^ If Bilstein have changed their valving over the years, that might explain the difference in the discussion I posted above and some of the more positive comments that have been aired more recently. It's interesting though, that in the discussion linked to, the general consensus seems to be that the H&R springs were too soft for the B6/B8 dampers....

I agree with what you're saying about adjustable coilovers being a bit of a pain. I've found that if I spray a little ACF50 on the PSS10's (Bilstein B16's) on my 993 a couple of times a year they remain problem free. If I did go down the fully adjustable route, I'd take the car to Chris at Centre Gravity to work his magic (although it would probably be overkill for a car with such limited adjustment).

Comment

Hi
                            I have had both KW V3 and BC coilovers and I have just bought a set of Bilstein B8 and intrax 30 mm lowering springs.

I haven’t fitted them yet but imagine that the ride quality will be greatly improved.

I have also bought new front and rear top mounts and rear spring seats.

Thanks
                            R

Comment

Originally posted by maph View Post
                              Yes quoted at 30mm but I am not convinced that they drop it that much. I personally would not want to go to the trouble of fitting them and have less drop.

Not sure on prices elsewhere but Autodoc will deliver them for £236. They have the B8s for £586 delivered as well so £822 for the set which seems good value to me

That’s good value and the best price you will get.

Evolve can also supply which is where I got mine.

Comment

After much head scratching I've decided to go for B6's with H&R springs. I considered the B8's, but the 6's can apparently accommodate up to a 50mm lowering spring, so no,problem with the H&R's. This way I'll have the option to go back to standard springs if need be. I'm not sure if the longer damper stroke will be otherwise beneficial or not?

Still keep eyeing those KW's though.... 😁

Comment

Working...
                                X