No announcement yet.

My Estoril S50, Chuffed to have an M Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great to see another M Coupe on track - I took mine recently but to Donnington.

The sound deadening is a great idea, might look into doing similar.

Comment

• Brilliant! they do work well on track!

Not so good: I think for the first time i now have Vanos issues.

The track day must have finished off my Vanos!

I now have a hunting idle and a very slight hesitation/cough at 2.5-3k revs.

Oh well, will get it sorted! I always wondered how well it was functioning, seemed ok before, maybe it was engaging a bit slowly.... makes me optimistic for how the car drive once I've got it sorted :)

Comment

• Originally posted by urquattrogus View Post
        Brilliant! they do work well on track!

Not so good: I think for the first time i now have Vanos issues.

The track day must have finished off my Vanos!

I now have a hunting idle and a very slight hesitation/cough at 2.5-3k revs.

Oh well, will get it sorted! I always wondered how well it was functioning, seemed ok before, maybe it was engaging a bit slowly.... makes me optimistic for how the car drive once I've got it sorted :)
        With a bit of luck it will just be the solder on the solenoid pcb's ( you can check impedance of the solenoid plugs with a multimeter to confirm they are ok), or one of the O-ring seals ( check for any oil inside the solenoid cover plates). Both easy fixes - ping me a pm if you want any more guidance on these checks. A bit of extra heat generated during a track session soon finishes off any failing components!

Comment

• Originally posted by M1ke View Post

With a bit of luck it will just be the solder on the solenoid pcb's ( you can check impedance of the solenoid plugs with a multimeter to confirm they are ok), or one of the O-ring seals ( check for any oil inside the solenoid cover plates). Both easy fixes - ping me a pm if you want any more guidance on these checks. A bit of extra heat generated during a track session soon finishes off any failing components!
          Thanks, I'll have a look for both those issues :)

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave P View Post

added your picture to the forums picture thread - hope that's ok
            Bit belated but yes no problem!

I had forgotten that I'd even commented in this thread and was going through it from the start, must be losing the plot.
            Keep finding myself drawn back to the z3m. Been looking at the classifieds again.
            Maybe I should just wait until Gus gets bored of this one

Great progress, any more updates?

Comment

• Mini Update.

I’ve been driving and enjoying the car a lot.

In the end I did pay MR Vanos to come and fit a recon Vanos Unit.

He said the inlet side didn’t seem to be working much. To me it felt like Vanos was working but perhaps a bit slow to respond and ramp up.

Pleased with the results, a smoother mid range and even more zing to the red line.

I have some new side skirts to fit, and in
              more major news during lockdown I purchased a Karbonius Carbon Airbox.

I haven’t fitted it yet, some trepidation, but I am told as long as I get it mapped by someone good like Wayne at Chipwizards then it should all be good.

Wayne is about 4 hours from me so I just haven’t got round to fitting the Airbox yet and going for the mapping, this was another reason for getting the Vanos sorted, I didn’t want to go for mapping with a Vanos that wasn’t quite right.

My intention is to book Wayne up for the whole day to make sure he can check the finessing of the map on part throttle and or the road.

All that Airbox noise will probably mean I go back to a quieter exhaust, and just enjoy the induction sound when I’m on it.

Anyway, a bit nervous about the Airbox driveability with no MAF on the Siemens ECU, but it is the nice Karbonius Airbox with internal intake trumpets and hopefully with some good mapping it’ll be a hoot!

Comment

Mini Update.

I’ve been driving and enjoying the car a lot.

In the end I did pay MR Vanos to come and fit a recon Vanos Unit.

He said the inlet side didn’t seem to be working much. To me it felt like Vanos was working but perhaps a bit slow to respond and ramp up.

Pleased with the results, a smoother mid range and even more zing to the red line.

I have some new side skirts to fit, and in
                more major news during lockdown I purchased a Karbonius Carbon Airbox.

I haven’t fitted it yet, some trepidation, but I am told as long as I get it mapped by someone good like Wayne at Chipwizards then it should all be good.

Wayne is about 4 hours from me so I just haven’t got round to fitting the Airbox yet and going for the mapping, this was another reason for getting the Vanos sorted, I didn’t want to go for mapping with a Vanos that wasn’t quite right.

My intention is to book Wayne up for the whole day to make sure he can check the finessing of the map on part throttle and or the road.

All that Airbox noise will probably mean I go back to a quieter exhaust, and just enjoy the induction sound when I’m on it.

Anyway, a bit nervous about the Airbox driveability with no MAF on the Siemens ECU, but it is the nice Karbonius Airbox with internal intake trumpets and hopefully with some good mapping it’ll be a hoot!
                Should make some decent power - 350hp? ish

Comment

• Thanks, yes should liberate a few bhp. Some change camshafts etc at the same time, I think 360bhp is possible, I’m just looking for nice throttle response and sound, I’m hoping for 330bhp plus. The performance of this car still surprises me; if you are in gear at the right speed you can still surprise some more modern cars or at least keep them honest.

Comment

Thanks, yes should liberate a few bhp. Some change camshafts etc at the same time, I think 360bhp is possible, I’m just looking for nice throttle response and sound, I’m hoping for 330bhp plus. The performance of this car still surprises me; if you are in gear at the right speed you can still surprise some more modern cars or at least keep them honest.
                    Not sure if anyone in the UK has fitted the Karbonius but back in the day Evolve fitted similar which good results,

https://www.mcoupe.co.uk/forum/forum...-on-s50-engine

Comment

• Thanks, yes I see that car had Shrick 284 Cams, looks like a drop in low end power. Thought about cams but it's a lot of money, I'll see how it goes with the stock ones and hope for full driveability. There are some nice videos on YouTube of a few European S50 cars with this airbox and with without cams changed, some claim 360bhp after cams, airbox and exhaust mods.... Sounds great too!!!

Comment

• So is it fitted yet

Comment

• Hmm sorry, it's still in the box!!!

Comment

• Sold to another Forum Member, it's been a pleasure, thanks everyone for your help along the way.

Comment

Working...
                            X