My First Z3M Coupe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jonnysideways View Post
    Thanks for the comments, however in my case the thermostat was tested, and is faulty ;0) It was between the start and the middle if that makes sense, so was not warming up fully. More than a little of centre
    Mine sits exactly there- I was hoping it was just the winter weather, but I guess I’m in for a thermostat. What is the repair worth?
    ‘99 M Coupe | ‘07 M5 Touring

Comment

Green line does look a bit low, is the centre line missing or photoshopped out?? been a while since i was in mine but im sure there is a centre line! Mine would normally sit at about “11:30”.

Comment

It was a random picture, so I could illustrate the point

The car is still having an engine mount replaced, and gearbox &diff flush, so I'll know how it is when it's back later this week.

Already missing having the car on the drive...

When you say what is it worth? Cost or the saving or potential engine damage?

I'll let you know when I see the bill, but I believe if the thermostat is stuck, the engine runs colder, so it never reaches the correct temperature, and if you drive it hard its basically like trashing a car when you just started it and didn't allow it to warm up, which we all know is a no-no

This website had some buying advice regarding the Z3, that covered some of the issues my car had, including the Fuel gauge being inaccurate, the rocking seat issue, and my temperature gauge.

http://www.onlyz3.com/en/guide_fallos.html
        Last edited by Jonnysideways; 12-02-2020, 10:53 AM.
        2001 E46 M3 Coupe for me / 2007 E91 335i for the Dogs.

Comment

I think normal position of water temperature is just below 12 o'clock

Last edited by Dave P; 14-02-2020, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Wow that pictures big

Comment

I did think that PMSL. Assume thats American?, Park Brake ;0)

Comment

Originally posted by jonnysideways View Post
                I did think that PMSL. Assume thats American?, Park Brake ;0)
                " Park brake and gasoline" sounds like a blues band

Comment

I'd go to watch them...

Quick update: As well as the things being addressed, it turns out I have a knackered hand brake cable, so another little job being finished today, fingers crossed she's back for the weekend, the bill will be climbing...

On the plus side, the clutch cable has been swapped for a braided one, as well as some of the brake lines, and the Diff Floor, mounts and Bushes have passed a health check.
                  Last edited by Jonnysideways; 13-04-2020, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Replaced massive picture to show running temperature on my coupe

Comment

Good one

Car collected form my Indy.

£637.09 Later.

New front engine mount replaced, Hand brake adjusted, new thermostat, temp (gauge now runs in the centre £46.40 plus vat and the fitting), new hand brake cable fitted, Tracking adjusted 1.5 degrees of toe removed (man that makes a difference) diff oil top up, gearbox oil flush.

The bits have all arrived to be fitted, so thats the next task. Shame its a bit dark, and bad weather planned for tomorrow.

Comment

Could not wait to start messing...

So maybe I decided to go out in the dark...

Engine mount failure...

Replaced the Centre caps, they are not as snug as the plastic edge ones they replaced but looks better generally. The flash makes them look dirty, will take pics in the light if it's not lashing down tomorrow...

(Holes made by me for ease of removal)

The boot Badge was replaced.

as was the M3 Badge, from worn E46 Version. to E36, annoyingly there is a mark on the blue piece on the new badge, but I need to stop being so anal.

I'm not sure how many times they polished the car to destroy the badge!!!

Better now the right version and not worn out.

A small detail, but replaced some spring clips on the grille mesh.

And fitted my cup holder. came with some odd bung that I couldn't work out where to use it, so I didn't! Not the prettiest of additions, but it does the job.

So the next task is to address the rocking seat and see if I can undo the bolts to move the bumper about.
                        Last edited by Jonnysideways; 15-02-2020, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Good work , does the car still have the forum sticker in the back window?

Comment

Nice one, I've been putting off my rocking seats, need to bite the bullet! horrible sensation! maybe this weekend!

Comment

Hello froma fellow imola owner

Your journal is great and you're addressing some of the common problems that I had to when I got mine. Keep it up!

Build thread: https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19347

Comment

Saturdays work.

So the whole of Saturday, after getting the car back to fix ONE heater bulb.

Job started simple enough. Removed the cd player, and clocks, though the surround on the clock was SOOOO tight took 20 minutes of straining and swearing to get it out, the clock must have swelled.

Just to replace one of these.

Then during the job, one of these blew.

So had to go to the motor factors for one, then another blub and socket blew, but had a spare in a box from my old M3 from 10 years ago, glad that I'm a hoarder.
                                The one of these blew...

But again I had a spare, I guess changing the bulbs was causing the power to change across the old bulbs and then they popped.

Ended up chaning all the bulbs...

Comment

Working...
                                X