z3 m rear axle carrier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• z3 m rear axle carrier

Hi, could anyone shed any light on this, is the axle carrier on the z3 m the same as a z3, i know there is a extra exhaust bracket on the z3 m carrier but is that all.
    Kindest regards.

The part number for the MC is Part number: 33 31 2 228 200 and this seems specific for the ///M, but that's not to say others won't fit.
    /// Exdos ///
    "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Thanks Exdos, i can`t seem to get a answer on the web, i know they look the same apart from the exhaust bit, the problem i have is if i specify at a breakers it has to be from a m series they don`t have one as they as we know a rare beasts, and the cost goes up five fold mentioning its a m, but if i can confirm, i can get a z3 one probably very easily and mod the exhaust bracket plus there a hell of a lot cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by roe1963 View Post
        Thanks Exdos, i can`t seem to get a answer on the web, i know they look the same apart from the exhaust bit, the problem i have is if i specify at a breakers it has to be from a m series they don`t have one as they as we know a rare beasts, and the cost goes up five fold mentioning its a m, but if i can confirm, i can get a z3 one probably very easily and mod the exhaust bracket plus there a hell of a lot cheaper.
        If you've already got your car in the air, or the rear subframe removed, then it would be worth measuring the part for its vital statistics and then go to a breakers and compare. Maybe a breaker would let you buy the part on "sale or return"?
        /// Exdos ///
        "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Well I looked on eBay and found a 2001 rear frame in excellent condition for Wait for it .....£28.00 Inc delivery. yes made me chuckle too ! bought it as you would and shall proceed with checking it out in the next few weeks.
          Luckily I have a friend who has a workshop with a ramp so shall have a good look and do a bit of measuring.
          Thanks for the advise Exdos, shall post my findings at a later date, fingers crossed eh.
          Kind regards Carl.

Comment

As already mentioned I can't see there being a problem fitting and measuring on the car probably won't show up any slight differences, if any as I'd imagine it's hard to be accurate in situ.

Have you got a 4 cylinder or a 6cylinder subframe? The diffs of the 6 cylinder are all interchangeable but the 4cylinder are slightly shorter apparently. The actual car bodies are all the same so the 6cylinder frame should bolt up fine, but then the rear arms are definintely different. Hard to say but something as small as the extra exhaust bracket mentioned will warrant a different part number!

Comment

Hi, it's from as far as I know a four cylinder, if the diff was shorter on a four cylinder then maybe the prop would be longer. but all I can do is give it a try, I'm not sure when I'll get round to it but when I do I will post the results .
              Thanks for your input muchly appreciated.

Comment

Several years ago, I removed the subframe from my MC and welded on adjustable camber/toe brackets. So if the new subframe needs minor modifications to fit the trailing arm brackets for an MC, then it shouldn't be a problem to make a simple jig from your original subframe to accurately locate the fitting of the brackets onto a modded subframe. At the same time you should consider fitting the adjustable brackets.
                /// Exdos ///

Comment

Exdos where did you get the toe brackets as i have seen them mentioned and while apart would be a sensible mod.
                  Only reason i`m changing the beam is it looks as though its been repaired before on the diff carrier area, Split at some point and doesnt look like a great repair so being a bit ocd i like it to be right..

Comment

These are the parts I fitted: http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/E30-.../e30adjsf.html

You need two kits in all: a pair for camber and a pair for toe. You adjust for camber and toe independently. If you have any mates in engineering, you could make the slotted brackets that you weld on and you can use eccentric bolts from the rear suspension of the E46 M3, all for a fraction of the price.
                    /// Exdos ///

Comment

Had a look at the site, theres some slightly more expensive ones at $95 dollars, think i might try those, or is there a seller in britain, save time and delivery costs.. i think $85 dollars for two sets is the fixed delivery to europe.

Comment

Had a look at the site, theres some slightly more expensive ones at $95 dollars, think i might try those, or is there a seller in britain, save time and delivery costs.. i think $85 dollars for two sets is the fixed delivery to europe.
                        ps not meaning to sound a little daft but i assume the camber kit is welded to nearest the hub and toe nearer the diff..

Comment

Easy to get in the UK danthe on the e30zone makes them, and also sells them on ebay, I get the bolts from bmwmini parts
                          BMW e21 track car
                          Z3M (S62)
                          2.8 Z3 Coupe
                          Ariel Atom
                          GT86 race car
                          Ferrari 348 Challenge
                          Merc G500

Comment

Hi Jason,
                            had a look at the e30 site but need to be a member to access, looked on eBay and yes there are some brackets but not much else, mailed the guy but he's not got back to me. I don't know if you have dantes email so I could maybe order direct. chased down some part numbers for eccentric bolts from I think a five series, I assume these will be compatible with the brackets.
                            Any further help in buying the kits complete would be appreciated.
                            Cheers Carl.

Comment

ps not meaning to sound a little daft but i assume the camber kit is welded to nearest the hub and toe nearer the diff..
                              I did mine the opposite way. The bracket closest to the hub will have the greatest adjustment range at the wheel, and I wanted to adjust toe more than camber. With my set up I now have zero toe and about -1 degree of camber.

/// Exdos ///

Comment

Working...
                              X