Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New shockers

Hi all,

Looking at replacing the shocks all round. Car OK on motorways etc but on country lanes lacks sharpness of direction rather worryingly (1999, S50).
    No intention of track days or any other crazy stuff, just want it to handle a little better.
    I intend to keep the standard springs (no lowering!) but don't want a car thats really stiff & crashy afterwards.
    Are genuine BMW shocks really that bad?
    Bilsteins & Konis seem to keep popping up when net searching.
    Are the Bilstein B6's a little softer than the B8's? I've even seen B4's on offer??
    Which Konis give the best ride/handling compromise?
    Finally, anyone have experience of a good supplier.
    I know this has question has been asked a few times, just not recently from what I can see.
    All suggestions will be gratefully received.

Howard

No quick answer to this one as it’s such a personal thing.
    I recently went for b6’s after 100k on original stock set up. It’s a million times better and perfect for the road. Kept the stock springs and ride height.

I certainly would want it any firmer. Never driven on new stock shocks so can’t comment on what they’re like when not knackered.
    S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

B6 and B8 are the same damper, but the B8 has a shorter length. However, the B8 will work fine with stock springs as it's not that much shorter than a stock damper. They give a good ride, much more control than standard but not stiff or uncomfortable and what it should have been like from the factory IMO.

I'd get the Bilstein over the Koni personally.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
        Totally agree about it being a personal thing where the ride is concerned, but you have confirmed that with standard springs the ride is not compromised (just improved).
        Bilsteins it is then!!

Comment

I’m going to be looking for new shocks also.

Just bought a car and absolutely loving it. Interestingly, the inspection carried out by Brystone suggested the suspension needed refreshing but the car seems to drive beautifully.

I want to lke the car as good as (or better than!) new, so may bite the bullet and refresh anyway. I assume the bushes/dampers/etc are all original.

Mine won’t be tracked either, and would like something well damped for our rubbish U.K. roads.

OP - drop me a line if you’d like to buy together in case it helps to get a better deal.

Comment

Working...
          X