rear wheel size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear wheel size

as some of you may allready know im running 10 x 18 bbs lm`s on the rear of mine with a 25mm spacer to get the correct spacing
    im thinking of loosing the spacer and putting an outer lip 25 mm bigger
    obviously id need wider lower profile tyres tyres, any oher probs spring to mind??

any idea how the handling will react
    maybe one for exdos or animal

any info will be appreciated
    even if its to say itll lok crap

cheers in advance
    [GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY ---- GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

can never be too wide,

Comment

omg ive got a semi

only a semi as the wheel centres are horrid

not sure about the front bumper but those arch extentions look factory

Comment

I don't think it's got arch extensions - just the wheels are megawide and it sits very low?

Comment

Martin,

I'm running 285s on 18 x 10 BBS RXIIs with ET 25 with 10mm spacers and that's definitely as wide as you can go without catching the wheel arches under suspension compression (there's a fag paper's width there!). I don't know if the ET is the same on your LMs as on my RXIIs but you should be able to work it out. c_w is the expert on ETs so he'll be able to tell you what sizes would match the set up I've got.

The handling is great with the 285 rears and 235 fronts with my suspension set-up.
          Last edited by exdos; 27-07-2010, 03:41 PM.
          /// Exdos ///
          "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

On my track wheels I run a 10x17 ET5 (ET15 plus 10mm spacer) with a 255/40/17 R888 which is quite a chunky tyre and never get any rubbing despite the rim standing proud only a fraction from the arch when viewed down the side. How much smaller that is diameter-wise to Exdos' 285 18" I'm not sure, but I think something around ET10 10J on an 18 should be ok.

The profile will make all the difference though, a 285/30 not 285/35 etc to keep diameter practically the same as a 255/40/17 etc.

Comment

im not too worried about tyre size but the wheel will probably be 11.25 wide
              cant remember what tyre size ive got now but theres about a "fag paper as you say"

just wondered how much the extra 25 - mill would affect the offsett and the handling

Comment

Can I ask why you are thinking of doing this, not trying to put you off, just want to know your reasoning.
                2002 phoenix yellow. "V3RY M" lives on, but on another beast.

Comment

just for looks really itll get rid of the spacer and ill have a bigger F@k off outer rim

Comment

Personally i think the LM's that you have, ( they were the same on my car ), look the "kippers tits" so I wouldn't change them, but every one's different, ( thank god ).
                    I'm not sure, but maybe you might get a bit more tramlining with bigger rims, and maybe tyre wear might be an issue, but i know there are people with more knowledge than me on here that will tell you more about that.
                    2002 phoenix yellow. "V3RY M" lives on, but on another beast.

Comment

As good as the LMs look (and they do look the nicest aftermarket rim!), they don't have enough dish at the rear to keep the M Coupe's look right, so a deeper rear dish if you can would be a good look for the car IMO.

The main thing to check is inner arch clearance without the spacer. The easiest way would be to fit the wheel without the spacer on if that is how you intend to run the wheel just with a bigger outer lip. In fact all measurements would be easier to make if you did this (for the outer gap too).

Comment

Originally posted by steve1 View Post
                        I'm not sure, but maybe you might get a bit more tramlining with bigger rims, and maybe tyre wear might be an issue
                        I've not noticed this, but then again, I've fitted Ireland Engineering's adjustable camber and toe brackets to the rear subframe and set the rear wheels up with less than 1 degree of -ve camber and zero toe, coupled with other adjustments to the suspension and geometry I find I get even wear across the entire width of the 285 tyre, which suggests that I get a better contact patch from the tyres than OEM set up.

If you fit bigger wheels/tyres to a lowered set up without adjusting the rear camber and toe, you still get more tyre wear on the insides.
                        /// Exdos ///
                        "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

I didn't notice anything either going from stock 9J ET8 to 10J ET5.

Comment

Working...
                          X