Imola S50 - long overdue journal!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quattro View Post

Came up nice and clean. I would have left it like this and dowsed the lot in wax
    I was quite surprised by the arches actually! The underside didn't look quite as good though. More about protection than aesthetics...

​​​​​​They are based in High Wycombe. Second car of mine that they have done and I have always been impressed with the attention to detail. Pricing very competitive compared to other quotes I have had as well.
    '99 Imola S50 | Simota | Front strut | Braided clutch cable | Bilstein B8 and H&R springs

Comment

All back together and ceramic coated. Really happy with the results!

Click image for larger version

Name:	underseal_after3.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	304511

Click image for larger version

Name:	underseal_after4.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	304512
      '99 Imola S50 | Simota | Front strut | Braided clutch cable | Bilstein B8 and H&R springs

Comment

Diff and engine oil changed today. Gearbox oil was done with the clutch.

Just realised that one of my O2 sensors is faulty - throwing a 91 code and the voltage doesn't change with revs. Guess I'll be replacing that before the MOT in a month or two...

Comment

Out of interest what sort of code reader you using? Thanks

Originally posted by Knightrider View Post
          Diff and engine oil changed today. Gearbox oil was done with the clutch.

Just realised that one of my O2 sensors is faulty - throwing a 91 code and the voltage doesn't change with revs. Guess I'll be replacing that before the MOT in a month or two...

Comment

Originally posted by Z3inter View Post
            Out of interest what sort of code reader you using? Thanks

Creator C310+. Useful piece of kit for the price.

Comment

Ive bought one of these aswell. Does it reset the airbag light and the service lights?

Comment

Originally posted by quattro View Post
                Ive bought one of these aswell. Does it reset the airbag light and the service lights?
                I believe so - definitely reset the airbag light after I had the seats out.

Comment

Finally got round to replacing the O2 sensors today. As the Bosch ones weren't available, I ordered Febi Bilstein ones from Autodoc. Was expecting the old ones to be a challenge to get out, but having soaked them with Bulldog PBX overnight, they came out with very little fuss using a £15 sensor removal kit from Amazon and a breaker bar. Threads chased, now ones fitted, then realised that the shorter sensor had the wrong connector.

OEM part number and reg on Autodoc matched, but the sensor has a blue plug that is the exact mirror of the original - go figure? Removed it again, spliced on the old connector to the new sensor, and reinstalled.

Fault codes cleared, both sensors reading live voltages.

Quick test-drive this evening and all seems good - much more pull through the middle of the rev range, stutter between 3-4k rpm now gone, and idle is smooth. Don't think I realised how much having a dead sensor affected the car running! Checked codes after the drive and all clear.

Acid test will be the emissions on the MOT in a few weeks...

Comment

I had a similar stutter also solved with new O2 sensors.
                    ----------------
                    David
                    1999 M Coupe (S50)
                    >>Read my journal here<<
                    2005 Smart Roadster-Coupe Brabus
                    2022 Range Rover Evoque PHEV

Comment

Looks like the sensors did the trick - MOT passed yesterday with no emissions issues.

The only advisory was a small oil leak that I knew about - when I replaced the valve cover I noticed that some of the bolts were stripped which was probably preventing the cover from torquing down properly. So while it was with the garage I had them helicoil the stripped bolts, check the valve clearances and fit a new gasket which should cure it.

Comment

Had a couple of bulbs out on the 3rd brake light. Original plan was to re-solder new bulbs - £7 each from BMW! When I tried to remove the real light from the spoiler, this happened:

Plastic was so brittle it just disintegrated, including the screw hols for the mounting clips. Inside, it's easy to see why the bulbs were out - looks like it was letting in water:

So I forked out for a complete new light - all back together:

I guess I could sell the working bulbs from the old light to recover some of the cost - at £7 each shouldn't take too many!

Comment

Finally got round to sorting something that has been bugging me for years - the infernal "squeaking" from the plastic bulkhead behind the front seats and around the sub/amp/luggage cover.

Took off the luggage cover and plastic covers from the sub and amp, and took all of the screws holding the bulkhead trim together. Then put some foam matting that I picked from Halfords between the trim anywhere where plastic meets plastic. Also tightly packed some packing foam around the sub box and amp.

Put everything back together properly and hey presto - squeaks are gone!

Wish I'd done it years ago....

Comment

A while since my last post. Have had to daily drive the MC a bit recently due to a series of unfortunate events with my other cars - blew the turbo on my Skoda Superb just before Christmas, and then the day I got it back a deer walked out in front of my i4 at 70 mph (me, not the deer...) taking out half the bumper....

Had a few days off this week, so tackled a few jobs that I've been meaning to do for a while. First up was to fit the set of tank straps that I bought from Mazza on the roadster forum. Tricky job, mainly because of the corrosion on the originals (and bolts) - required the use of an angle grinder which is always fun. The new ones supplied are designed to be fitted without removing the beam which makes life easy, and given that the set includes a new charcoal cannister strap (over £60 itself from BMW) they are great value.

Then to work out why the rear screen wash wasn't working. Not a massive issue but it's the little things! Could clearly hear the pump, but no fluid coming out. Quick check in the boot and no leaks, but no fluid. Disconnected under the bonnet and fluid coming out, so presumed there was a blockage somewhere in the pipe. Bit of compressed air and hey presto, fluid now coming,. Looked in the tank, and the bottom is full of sludge, as as ever down a wormhole, removed the entire tank and spent 2 hours cleaning it out...

Booked in for an underside clean and detail on Friday to remove the salt...

Comment

Working...
                            X