Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil pack

Evening all,

After a wash I took the car for a spin today and after about 10 mins it started grumbling and sounding generally awful with no power at all and cutting out.

I remember something almost identical about 10 years ago which definitely was a coil, so assuming it's the same this time.

Has anyone done this themselves and was it a bother?
    S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

I haven't done this myself on this car, have done on others, but would imagine it's no big bother.

It's a coil on plug engine, one coil pack for each pot. So identify which one (maybe my using basic diagnostics via the engine connector) and replace it by removing the cover on top of the cam cam cover, and then disconnect the coil connector, pull the old one out and fit new one.

Sometimes there is a separate coil pack driver in the wiring to the coils (or inside the ecu) that could be at fault, not sure what sort of coil driver the car has.

Comment

Changed mine (S54) last year. Straightforward job, just remove the cam cover - it's a little fiddly at the back end as it goes underneath the scuttle, but just a little patience required. The new coil packs just clip in with a cam lock, five seconds each. The BMW ones are known to fail, so I just changed all six at the same time, even though only one was weak. Oh, and a couple of easily accessible breather hoses ness to be removed as well.
      2001 S54 Silver with Red/Black interior. Totally standard.

Comment

HI Cheers for that. Changed them for what? Is there an acknowledged alternative? Did you do all the plugs at the same time?

Comment

I'll check my invoices (might have to be tomorrow, as they're up in the attic somewhere), but I'm fairly sure they were Bosch. I didn't change the plugs as I'd had them changed during an inspection 2 a few months earlier.

Comment

Ok cheers.

Don’t worry too much - it’s far too nice a day to be in the attic

Comment

Just checked - Bosch.

Comment

Lovely job - cheers.

Comment

Working...
                X