Z3MCoupe.com Forums

Go Back   Z3MCoupe.com Forums > M Coupé Technical > Technical Discussion
HOME Gallery Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2010, 06:57 PM

Logic says with an open filter you can only be sucking in warmer air than with the OEM box in place which would make a significant difference to performance but I've never actually tried one.

Thats why I like the Simota's/GruppeM's for the S50's as the carbon cone was such a good/close fit there was no change of warm engine air getting sucked in with the pressure from the intake.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonttt View Post
Logic says with an open filter you can only be sucking in warmer air than with the OEM box in place which would make a significant difference to performance but I've never actually tried one.

Thats why I like the Simota's/GruppeM's for the S50's as the carbon cone was such a good/close fit there was no change of warm engine air getting sucked in with the pressure from the intake.
With the MC/MR's OEM air intake not only is cold air from outside the engine bay being delivered, but also air at increasing pressure with increasing speed (i.e greater mass) = more power. You won't capitalise on this with aftermarket systems.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:33 PM

Worth a read chaps:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1535784

especially (although it relates to an E46 M3):

http://www.powerchipgroup.com/stealth/e46m3.doc
Old 07-10-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantybeater View Post
Worth a read chaps:
especially (although it relates to an E46 M3):

http://www.powerchipgroup.com/stealth/e46m3.doc
If the author of the work you refer to had used a datalogger connected to the ECU (several to choose from) and performed his comparative tests on the road in "real world" conditions rather than on a dynamometer, the results would be useful, but comparisons of BMW "ram-air" intake systems, as used on the Z3 M, Z4 M, E46 M3 and E92 M3 to aftermarket "open" systems, are meaningless because the fans placed in front of cars on static dynamometers don't replicate the conditions of air movement and changing air pressures on the road. As such the OEM air-intake systems are disadvantaged because they are not functioning as they normally do, when on a dynamometer.

Where do you live? If you live anywhere near me, I'll offer to connect your car to my datalogger and do some recording from your cars ECU to show you exactly what is going on in your car. You'll be amazed by the information you'll get from your car!
Old 07-10-2010, 04:55 PM

I'm in bournemouth, that does sound interesting!
Old 07-10-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Is it true that the shops there have bi-focal windows
Old 07-10-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
I'm midlands.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:02 PM

Steve1 - I'm guessing you havent been here for a while? all the old timers moved along the coast some time ago! ;)

exdos - thats a shame mate, maybe we will bump into each other at a show or something

Last edited by shantybeater; 07-10-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:50 PM

Default Air Intake, etc.

I have run a Gruppe M intake (Evole sale them just short of £600) with a Unichip & remap carried out by Paul Sheppard at Circuit Motors (next to Castle Combe Circuit) for the last 18 months, its dyno reading is 346 BHP with improved torque over standard too, the car has done 105k. I only use the car for track use & the differance after these modifications was huge - however i only had these mods carried out after making sure the valve clearances were correct - this should be done at inspection II services, but some dealers are better than others at this task! Dick Lovetts BMW in Bristol carried out this work & the car was massively improved in terms of performance following their work. I have recently fitted de-cat Supersprint pipes & Supersprint back boxes and blanked off the air intake from the N/S brake duct & instead have taken the air feed straight through the front bumper just below & to the centre of the N/S headlamp washer jet. After this i have taken the car around Silverstone (BMW owbers club trackday) & found a 'large' flat spot between 3k & 4K rpm. The car is booked in for a re-map again on Tuesday 19th by which time i will have removed the air con compressor & associated parts, hopefully i will see somewhere in the region of 355 BHP - I'll let you know.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you are getting well on top of the tuning/mapping issue. Keep us informed.
Strongstrut CL front brace-Yellowstuff pads/Castrol SRF race brake fluid-Rogue top mounts/Rear support bushes-H&R ARBs-Whiteline droplinks-Bilstein Sport shockers-H&R Springs-Black Halo Angel Eye headlight units-Sachs lightweight flywheel/matching clutch-Supersprint exhaust/race catalysers-BBS RSGTs with Falkens-K&N High Flow Air Filter-Recaro Pole Position seats - Exdos mod - ACS flippers

Tags
airbox