Z3MCoupe.com Forums

Go Back   Z3MCoupe.com Forums > M Coupé Technical > Technical Discussion
HOME Gallery Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25-11-2010, 02:03 PM

It might be from the risk of damaging the ECU if the terminals are put the wrong way around and shorted, on old cars this probably wouldn't do anything but on "modern" cars could fry something sensitive?
Old 25-11-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_w View Post
It might be from the risk of damaging the ECU if the terminals are put the wrong way around and shorted, on old cars this probably wouldn't do anything but on "modern" cars could fry something sensitive?
You read similar horror stories about people using welders on cars. The scare used to be that the alternator would get damaged and now this also includes the ECU. From what I've read on the subject, it seems that you need to ensure that your connections on the car are clean when attaching the leads and that you don't create sparks and short circuits when making the connections.
Old 25-11-2010, 03:45 PM
Administrator

here's a article from the BMW car club magazine which makes interesting reading,

Old 25-11-2010, 04:01 PM

You can do a simple battery change without getting into any of those problems!! Maybe it's a US thing!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by exdos View Post
You read similar horror stories about people using welders on cars. The scare used to be that the alternator would get damaged and now this also includes the ECU. From what I've read on the subject, it seems that you need to ensure that your connections on the car are clean when attaching the leads and that you don't create sparks and short circuits when making the connections.
Yea I think with welding it's highly recommend to disconnect the battery as you're sending high current through the body which "may" affect stuff like ECUs.
Old 25-11-2010, 04:31 PM

My sister has a 09 plate X5 and she has had lots of problems due to flat batteries/ the battery being disconnected.

She returned from holiday and had a flat battery (left an interior light on). BMW road assist sent out a 'technician' who did not even know where the battery was.....after a lot of phone calls he found the battery (although i presume he could have used the under bonnet terminals) and tried jump starting it...... roll on lots of sparks, scared kids etc.

Ended up started buy with numerous problems, loss of sat nav, radio, windows going up and down by themselves etc...... took it into dealer who tried charging her for sorting it out as it was caused by owner error (flat battery).

More recently the battery was disconnected again in a body shop, when reconnected had lots of gremlins.

I am sure the MC is not very sensitive to disconnecting the battery but these new models have issues with it for sure.
Old 25-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Neil M
This message has been deleted by Neil M.
Old 25-11-2010, 09:05 PM

Just looked ay the manual myself

It does seem there is certainly a specific procedure for jump-starting, the first one that sticks out is the fact you are not even supposed to touch the flat battery.

As previous poster said the positive needs to be connected to the point in the engine bay and the negative to a special bolt on the strut housing.

Once started it also says to run lights and turn up blower etc for a certain amount of time before disconnecting.
Old 26-11-2010, 10:24 AM
Administrator

another thing you should do (according to the BMW assist mechanic who sorted out my last flat battery) is to reset the electric windows by opening fully then closing them fully as this resets the closing memory.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:44 PM

Well, another winter is here and after deciding to again put mine off the road I went to start it yesterday and seems the battery has gone again.

Got a Bosch silver one last year and its been spot on for starting since.

Since in storage from November last year I've been starting it every couple of weeks and letting it run for about 30mins, each time its started no problem. I suppose letting it run doesnt properly charge the battery and that with the recent cold spell has probably meant I havent been as lucky this time.

Obviously after what happened the last time I'm certainly not going to jump start using the battery terminals but to save having to push it out the garage etc I am just going to take the battery out and get my dad to charge it using his charger then put it back in.

I take it that should be a safe enough method? I'm pretty paranoid now with this and dont want to fork out for another ECU!
Old 06-02-2012, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by issproking View Post
Well, another winter is here and after deciding to again put mine off the road I went to start it yesterday and seems the battery has gone again.

Got a Bosch silver one last year and its been spot on for starting since.

Since in storage from November last year I've been starting it every couple of weeks and letting it run for about 30mins, each time its started no problem. I suppose letting it run doesnt properly charge the battery and that with the recent cold spell has probably meant I havent been as lucky this time.

Obviously after what happened the last time I'm certainly not going to jump start using the battery terminals but to save having to push it out the garage etc I am just going to take the battery out and get my dad to charge it using his charger then put it back in.

I take it that should be a safe enough method? I'm pretty paranoid now with this and dont want to fork out for another ECU!

charging the battery out of the car should be fine, if you have mains power in your garage it would be worth investing in a trickle charger?
Old 06-02-2012, 03:34 PM

i think you are too paranoid now

have jump started plenty of cars in the past! and never had any lasting issues.

yes ive experienced with the modern BMW's (and others) they have a few electrical faults and lights on the dash, these should usually sort themselves out once the car has been driven with a working battery, but if not, a simple fault code read/clearing can sort it all out.

the errors are usually thrown up just because of low battery power! nothing to worry about and its perfectly normal with cars that have all the extra features........ blablabla

S50 MC shouldnt have any show up at all!

Click here to email me

Tags
trickle charger