Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seat Bushing Fix - Fail - what have I done wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seat Bushing Fix - Fail - what have I done wrong?

Today I decided to replace the worn seat runner bushings with nylon ones to stop the forwards and backwards seat play.

I sanded down the bushings a little and pressed in the threaded piece into the holder with the new bushes.

Re fitted everything, greased up the threaded rods and tried to take care to make sure the seat base mountings all lined up, drive rods all engaged etc.

I plugged the seats in to check that the seat runners operate before putting the seats back in - no luck!

One doesn't seat doesn't move at all, and the other seat only goes slowly one way and not the other.

Now if I removed the two small torx headed screws the mechanisms go back and forth with ease......

What have I done wrong i wonder???

The bushings were a tight fit and pressed in with a vice, the metal threaded part could not move from side to side....

Did i put them in too tight? Does it need to be fairly loose so it can move side to side?

I also have to confess that I wasn't that amazing at counting the turns, but I did try to replicate how they were and both seat mounting holes look straight as it were.

Now time for a beer!!!

Another simple job gone wrong!

Check the connections for the motor make sure everything is nice and clean with no snagged wires etc. I wasn't that precise when it came to counting the turns either tbf and had no issues.

Hopefully its something simple for you

Comment

Hi

Not sure what you have done wrong other than perhaps the threads are out of whack!! but its a job I also need to do as my drivers seat rocks side to side. Where did you get the bushes from?

Good luck with the fix of the fix :) maybe check each side is the same number of turns up the spindle?

My drivers seat only moves forwards so might have to give the motor a bit of grease or something?

Comment

All sorted now and nice and smooth.

My suspicions proved right, I had put the threaded part between the two bushings in too tight.

It actually needs to be quite loose so it can move from side to side.

I think this was actually made worse by the fact one rod was ever so slightly bent due to coins being stuck down there.

No rocking at all now and smooooth.

Thanks god for that.

Comment

I think mine could do with being tackled at some point.
          Any members localish to Hampshire that have done this before and wouldn’t mind assisting in return for beer tokens?
          ----------------
          David
          1999 M Coupe (S50)
          >>Read my journal here<<
          2005 Smart Roadster-Coupe Brabus
          2022 Range Rover Evoque PHEV

Comment

Sadly Chester lol and lockdown pmsl Its an easy DIY job, and lots of good helped guides out there.

Guide I used https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6PsUywdt74 If you get stuck, I'm sure someone would talk you through it.

Just make sure when spinning the bobbin (the thing that hoses the bushes) that it goes back in the same place as it was before you took it off, otherwise you can not get the mounting bolt back through the runner into the seat.
            Last edited by Jonnysideways; 14-04-2020, 01:01 PM.
            2001 E46 M3 Coupe for me / 2007 E91 335i for the Dogs.

Comment

Working...
            X