Clock / Voltmeter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clock / Voltmeter

So - it turns out my new purchase has the typical clock fault. Seems to run ok when the engine is running but loses time quickly when not.

I’ve read a few topics on this but didn’t really find a “solution”‘except for a guy back in 2011 that had a friend who repaired them.

So asking the collective.... what are my options?
    - did anyone find a “fix” for the clock
    - if not, could someone point me to a specific voltmeter that would fit and light up correctly (The S52 one seems to be a unicorn!)
    - or is there another VDO clock which fits / works & looks in keeping?

Thanks
    ----------------
    David
    1999 M Coupe (S50)
    >>Read my journal here<<
    2005 Smart Roadster-Coupe Brabus
    2022 Range Rover Evoque PHEV

I have read that a build up of dirt causes the workings to slow down over time but a clean of the internal workings and re oil may cure the problem. Never tried it and don't know how easy it is to take the clock apart .

Comment

When I had my roadster I got hold of an s52 voltmeter from the dealer - presumably you’ve tried there?

Edit - looks like they have them in stock at ECS in the US https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/62132695215/
      Part no. is 62132695215
      Last edited by Ian_C; 16-02-2020, 02:59 PM.
      1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Ian_C View Post
        When I had my roadster I got hold of an s52 voltmeter from the dealer - presumably you’ve tried there?

Edit - looks like they have them in stock at ECS in the US https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/62132695215/
        Part no. is 62132695215
        Spot on - I'll give that a go!
        ----------------
        David
        1999 M Coupe (S50)
        >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

The clock on my car started going funny after the battery was disconnected for a long time whilst I refurbished underside and engine bay. Before that it was perfect, now it loses time, so it seems long period without power somehow can contribute to an issue. Might try removing and cleaning though!

Comment

I would try your local dealer for parts rather than ECS or similar as you should get a much better price (ECS shows that this parts ships early March so they wont have stock and maybe not available from BMW anyway?)

Comment

When considering options for the clock, I've found that carrying a passenger and have them alter the time every few minutes is better value
              Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
              ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
              Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Lol! I don't need a clock as the aftermarket radio has a clock function anyway.
                The voltmeter is on order - hopefully it's not too difficult to wire up - guessing it has the same power requirements as the clock, i.e. +ve, -ve & illumination.
                ----------------
                David
                1999 M Coupe (S50)
                >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

Originally posted by 137699 View Post
                  The voltmeter is on order - hopefully it's not too difficult to wire up - guessing it has the same power requirements as the clock, i.e. +ve, -ve & illumination.

I ordered one as well just in case my clock ever dies, I believe its the same plug so easy to swap

Comment

Found the voltmeter here for 59euros

https://www.hubauer-shop.de/en/voltm...132695215.html

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
                      Found the voltmeter here for 59euros

https://www.hubauer-shop.de/en/voltm...132695215.html

£62 from Williams Stockport, discounts appear to be better in mainland Europe at the moment but with delivery costs it normally it ends up slightly cheaper to buy from Williams and easier if parts are wrong or damaged.

Comment

Originally posted by 137699 View Post
                        Yep, straightforward fit. I had to splice new wires into my non-///m roadster but you’ll probably be able to use the existing clock connections
                        1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Working...
                        X