Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust...

hi all,
    i'm noticing quite a lot of rust bubbles appearing on the inside lip of the all 4 wheel arches. I know this is becoming a more common problem as the cars get to 20+ years, but what is the best solution??
    I had them rubbed down and re-sprayed a few years ago but this clearly wasn't a long term solution. i guess i have 3 options:

1) Rub down and respray every few years, but rust will likely get worse and cost a few hundred £ every few years.
    2) Get the panels removed, rubbed down, rust proofed and resprayed. I had a quote for this work and came into £'000s. Not sure if they were taking the P. Has anyone on here had this done and advise on expected costs?
    3) Replace the panels with new parts (BMW or are there non-OEM options?) and resprayed. Any idea what the 4 panels will cost? Do they need rust proofing or will the new parts already be treated? i guess this will cost a couple £'000. Has anyone done this and advise on costs?

I've owned the car for 10 years, have had the boot sub-frame strengthened and have no plans to sell it so would like to get this sorted properly.

cheers

If it's rusting from under the paint, repainting won't really fix it unless it's extremely well treated (gone). The good news is practically all the panels on the coupe bolt on and off, so things like rear arch (rear 3/4), sills and front quarter wings can be replaced. Before fitting new parts I'd get ensure the insides are stone chip protected and give a good coat of spray waxed.

Comment

You can use normal Z3 panels on the front,,,(not wheel arches ) ie the small oblong ones..and the rear arches are not as expensive as you think....wheni had mine done,,,,i also replaced bothe sills,which shocked me how bad they was once taken off ! box section behind them was sound tho ! i am afraid once the old tin worm gets in there you will be chasing until renewed...

Comment

As said replacing the panels is the long term answer.

current dealer prices for front side panels is £269 inc vat before any discount, rear side panels £377. inc vat before any discount

Currently there are no left side rears in stock but due in to Germany stock in or around 9th October

You should be able to get a decent discount from your local dealer on body panels

Comment

Sills are about £150 each side

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=41_0034

Comment

I took the wings and outer sills off my S54, removed any surface rust and sprayed in problems and behind the panels with 2K aerosols. I sprayed the sill boxes and covers with Dinitrol 3125, and the inside of the wings with 4941.
            Each year thereafter I used a small(ish) paintbrush to paint a coat of 4941 on the inside and outside surfaces of the lip return on all four wings, especially the rears. This stuff is remarkably tough, but other options are available. There was no sign of rust reappearing when I sold it in January, 5 years on.
            Unfortunately the E36 period for BMWs was not noted for good rust resistance.

Comment

thanks all for your advise. I think i will go down the replacement route (and start saving the $$!!).

I popped into BMW dealer and looks like the prices quoted by Dave are spot on.
              They offered a 7.5% discount and said this was all they could do. Has anyone had any bigger discounts?

Also the left door sill and rear left quarter are not in stock. I was told i would need to order and pay for them before they would be made. Does this sound right??

Comment

Originally posted by ktm400 View Post
                thanks all for your advise. I think i will go down the replacement route (and start saving the $$!!).

They offered a 7.5% discount and said this was all they could do. Has anyone had any bigger discounts?

Also the left door sill and rear left quarter are not in stock. I was told i would need to order and pay for them before they would be made. Does this sound right??

I was quoted £208.50 and £269.03 for the wings (I think this is plus vat), I think I paid £137 for a sill last year. You should be able to just leave a deposit rather than having to pay in full upfront if not I would try another dealer or one that with deliver and discount.

Comment

Also the left door sill and rear left quarter are not in stock. I was told I would need to order and pay for them before they would be made. Does this sound right??
                  Full payment upfront for special order parts is quite standard, unless you have a good relationship with the dealer. When my local parts man who had been at the dealership left I was having to pay upfront for some items until they knew me and then I often could ring up on the phone and order parts without even a deposit. Although one of the orders I collected was for £1900 so after that I was definitely remembered

Price-wise I got quoted much higher for the rear-quarter panels but they were unavailable and it could have been due to scarecity, sounds like they have had a good run of them made now (this was back in 2016, they were on back order). Front wing price is silly though as they made literally thousands and thousands of them, same part on every Z3 ever made.

Discount is usually up to 10%, usually just a matter of asking.

You'll likely find with the panels unbolted off the car, the actually car body/chassis will be in very good condition. With rear arches removed zero rust on the body and behind the bumper. My outer sills were rusty but the inner body sills are very heavy gauge, and apart from some localised surface rust around the jack mounts and fixings they cleaned up well, rust killer, stone chipped, then spray waxed, then refit the new painted sill covers.
                  Last edited by c_w; 14-08-2019, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Call Harry Fairbairn BMW - 01592 657842

Ask for a forum discount (bmwforums.info), I am sure it will be more than 7.5% (think it is 10-15% depending on their margin) and they will deliver for free.

If you register on bmwforums.info you can request a price on their thread as well.

Regards stock, I enquired about sills about 3 months ago and they had lots available, must be popular......

I have bought a lot from them over the years and they have been really good
                    S50 Black, H&R Arbs/ Springs, B8s, Larini Exhaust

Comment

Some details here about Harry Fairbairn

https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showt...light=discount

Comment

Working...
                      X