Trickle charger needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trickle charger needed

My Ctek trickle charger has packed up and I need to replace can anyone recommend a good quality current model

I picked up one of these from Aldi a couple of years ago. https://manualsbrain.com/en/manuals/796066/
    No complaints so far but can’t find that exact model anywhere - not sure if it got an Aldi part number? Seems a pretty generic specification
    Edit - found equivalent on eBay here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143614831325
    Last edited by Ian_C; 29-05-2020, 09:02 PM.
    1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

I had a CTEK fail after just a week, most people still reccomend them though. I did get another one.

Ring Automotive do some good products in my view, I’ve got a highly specced smart charger that’s been good for the last 12 or so years.

Comment

BMW are selling a version of the latest ctek

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-B...QAAOSwgQtbcqQA

Comment

UI think I can use the charger from my carcoon so will try this first.

https://www.carcoon.com/carcoon-power-and-charge-unit

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
            UI think I can use the charger from my carcoon so will try this first.

https://www.carcoon.com/carcoon-power-and-charge-unit
            looks like a rebadged optimate

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
              looks like a rebadged optimate

Can’t fault optimate I’ve got 3 the oldest is 10 yr old at least
              [GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY ---- GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Comment

After a bit of advice. Getting the MC back from the garage on Monday and will keep it off the road for a month or so. I have a NOCO Genius G3500 already which seems to indicate that it will trickle charge. Should I keep the car battery connected and run the G3500 to the terminals under the bonnet? Never uses a trickle charger before.....

Comment

Originally posted by jamesduncan View Post
                  After a bit of advice. Getting the MC back from the garage on Monday and will keep it off the road for a month or so. I have a NOCO Genius G3500 already which seems to indicate that it will trickle charge. Should I keep the car battery connected and run the G3500 to the terminals under the bonnet? Never uses a trickle charger before.....
                  Yep, this is what I do. Keeps the battery in tip top condition
                  1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Why not just do what I do and disconnect the battery. They hold charge for months on end (at least 6) in this state.
                    ----------------
                    David
                    1999 M Coupe (S50)
                    >>Read my journal here<<
                    2005 Smart Roadster-Coupe Brabus
                    2022 Range Rover Evoque PHEV

Comment

I find it easier to connect to the terminals under the bonnet than messing around in the boot and having to remove the trim and boot tray, any cables can be run down and out of the wheel arch so the bonnet can still be closed.

Good thing about leaving the battery connected is you wont have any potential issues with radio codes and the car is still alarmed.

Comment

Thanks. Makes sense to keep the battery connected, plus I will be taking it out here and there so don't want to faff around in the boot each time.

Everything I have read suggests the G3500 can maintain the battery (only supplying voltage when the battery voltage drops) but perhaps I need a dedicated trickle charger? What do others use?

James

Comment

Thanks. Makes sense to keep the battery connected, plus I will be taking it out here and there so don't want to faff around in the boot each time.

Everything I have read suggests the G3500 can maintain the battery (only supplying voltage when the battery voltage drops) but perhaps I need a dedicated trickle charger? What do others use?

James

I have a BMW branded C Tek

Comment

I get what you’re saying about the alarm but it takes me less than a minute to reconnect the battery in order to take the car out - and another 30 seconds to enter the radio code!

It really is no faff whatsoever - certainly less faff than having to rig up a charger!
                            ----------------
                            David
                            1999 M Coupe (S50)
                            >>Read my journal here<<
                            2005 Smart Roadster-Coupe Brabus
                            2022 Range Rover Evoque PHEV

Comment

I have also used a C TEK for some years now during the winter months. Get the adapter so you can plug it into the cigarette lighter . If you allow the charge to drop on lead acid batteries you run the risk of sulphation between the plates.

Comment

Working...
                              X