• Show
Clear All

• EWS location

Hello☺!

Where is EWS location on Z3M-S50B32?

Thanks!

I think its behind the steering column?

Comment

It may be the grey box you can see through the vent hole (RHD) but should be in similar position in a LHD car?

Comment

Originally posted by Z3 M roadster View Post
        Hello☺!

Thanks!
        It's behind the glovebox on a rhd car:

1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Looks like its fitted in different places according to year and model but Bentley guide says the EWS III control module should be found under dashboard near steering column

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
            Looks like its fitted in different places according to year and model but Bentley guide says the EWS III control module should be found under dashboard near steering column
            Good call Dave - pretty sure the pic I posted (from when I had my 2.8 roadster) was EWS II too. I think some EWS installations were also dealer fit options so maybe that determined location as well?
            1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Ian_C View Post
              Good call Dave - pretty sure the pic I posted (from when I had my 2.8 roadster) was EWS II too. I think some EWS installations were also dealer fit options so maybe that determined location as well?
              I thought the EWS controlled the keys so should be standard on all cars?

Comment

Originally posted by Z3 M roadster View Post
                Hello☺!

Thanks!

Did you find it?

Comment

Yes guys!☺
                  Behind glovebox.
                  I have not been online for a long time.

Comment

Just for future reference:

All BMW's built from 01/95> had EWS (or a version of it) which used a gold key blade.
                    (Pre 95 cars had silver key blades which equals non EWS).

EWS is built into the factory wiring loom and is a small cigarette pack sized box (usually Grey or Black box) marked 'EWS #'.

Unfortunately I'm not sure which side of the car it's fitted on in the Z3MCoupe.
                    (E36's had it behind the glove box, and E46 had it behind the steering column, for example).

The Alarm module (black in colour) with an ariel antenna was a dealer fit option through the 90's (changing to factory option around 98/99 with the 3 button remote key) and would be installed by the selling dealer and technician who was carrying out the PDI of the car.

There were a few different versions of these from memory and all had different fobs which were separate from the key itself.
                    System II
                    System III
                    3T
                    3G

I would need to check on this, but I'm sure the dealer fitted alarms were spliced into the car's body looms and basically acted as an alarm system (with ultrasonic sensors on the A pillars sometimes), as well as activated the central locking.

EWS however is the real immobiliser and receives it's data from the chip inside your key head through the ring around the ignition barrel, into the EWS module, then if all matches up it sends an OK signal to the Starter signal, as well as DME relay to turn on the DME (engine ECU), which then sends a signal to the Fuel Pump relay which allows the engine start procedure.
                    At least that's how I remember it working with E36 M3 S50's so I'd imagine it being very similar.

Best regards,
                    James :)

Comment

On Z3M S50-1997.-EWS II(grey color) is behind glovebox.
                      My Z3M is LHD!

Comment

Update, EWS module location may vary but on a early S50 RHD its located near the steering column

Comment

Working...
                        X