Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems with idle and shuddering. Please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I took the car into BMW to have a look at - they test drove the car and witnessed the high idling. They suggested they would need to bring it in for diagnostics and that might take up to three days to complete. I couldn't spare the car over the past couple of weeks, so it hasn't been in.

What I did do, however, was read the manual and note that it recommended 95RON fuel for M powered Coupes. So the last three tanks have been 95RON rather than Optimax or V Power and the idle problem and shuddering has completely disappeared. I've done a good 500 miles without incident in all kinds of weather barring snow/ice but give it a month...
    CLK55 AMG Cabriolet

ex Estoril Blue Z3M Coupe

Comment

Brett, Glad to hear its solved the problem but my manual and sticker on fuel gauage recomemnds 98 Ron Fuel for my S50??

Was it the owners manual you were reading?

cheers

Dave
      EX: S50 Black with Kyalami Orange/Black Leather. Becker Bluetooth/Ipod HU.
      Now: S50 Black/Black with Ap Racing brakes and Race logic

Comment

Originally posted by David1975
        .............Was it the owners manual you were reading?

cheers

Dave
        maybe one off an old sierra!

Comment

Originally posted by BEN
          Originally posted by David1975
          .............Was it the owners manual you were reading?

cheers

Dave
          maybe one off an old sierra!
          I'll double check but it was the owners manual that came with the car! I'm sure it said BMW on the outside rather than Sierra, but having worked the weekend from hell, I could be mistaken :shock:
          CLK55 AMG Cabriolet

Comment

Well I double checked today - the manual definitely says "BMW Z3" on the front. On page 26 under fuel grade it says 91RON for 2.8 and 3.0 engines and M engines 95RON. I also looked in the fuel filler cap and it says 95-98RON.
            CLK55 AMG Cabriolet

Comment

That's weird. I too have a sticker on my fuel guage saying 98 RON. :?
              '99 Estoril/Estoril & Black

Comment

I guess the acid test (for my car) will be to fill with 98RON when I get to the end of this tank and see whether I get the problem back. No sticker on my fuel gauge.
                CLK55 AMG Cabriolet

Comment

If it helps, according to the Owner's Handbook for the S54 MC/MR, it states:

The engine of your BMW is designed to run on Super Plus/premium plus petrol (octane number 98RON) Run the engine on this petrol by preference, in order to achieve rated performance and fuel consumption.
                  You can also run the engine on Premium-grade unleaded petrol (octane number 95RON) this is the minimum approved grade of petrol.

Would the S50 be any different :?:
                  /// Exdos ///
                  "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

No idea if the manual was updated/changed for the S54. I'll be getting mine out the car and having a good look again later...
                    CLK55 AMG Cabriolet

Comment

Exdos,Brett:

My manual says exactly the same and mine is an S50.

Hope this helps

David
                      EX: S50 Black with Kyalami Orange/Black Leather. Becker Bluetooth/Ipod HU.
                      Now: S50 Black/Black with Ap Racing brakes and Race logic

Comment

The sticker on my fuel gauge says 98RON, not sure about the book but I think for best performance 98RON is going to be best bet.

Comment

Originally posted by c_w
                          The sticker on my fuel gauge says 98RON, not sure about the book but I think for best performance 98RON is going to be best bet.
                          Weird - will have to check this out. I know my car was built Nov 99 and was a demonstrator at one of the BMW garages in Edinburgh, so there shouldn't be any wierd things there....still, the car is running great at the moment...next test, more 98RON I guess :?
                          CLK55 AMG Cabriolet

Comment

Working...
                          X