High Revs when starting!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Revs when starting!!!

I keep noticing my car occasionally when starting revs at between 1 and 2 for a few minutes before coming down to it appropriate level. Anyone got any ideas why? Whats causing this?

Sticking throttle cable/throttle?

Comment

opened the bonnet and checked cable and its not that............ i doesnt always do it but it does bug me if i get in the car and there's a few people round. Sounds like i'm an old dear.

Comment

Re: High Revs when starting!!!

Originally posted by Obicoke
        I keep noticing my car occasionally when starting revs at between 1 and 2 for a few minutes before coming down to it appropriate level. Anyone got any ideas why? Whats causing this?
        Sticking idle control valve could cause that.

Greenbat

Ex MC Owner

Comment

I have the identical problem.

Seems to manifest itself more in warm weather - has been fine over the winter but starting again now. Had by cable changed which didn't help. Maybe need to look at idle control valve next...

Comment

I have the same problem, comes now and again - couple of blips on the throttle clears it, don't think it's anything serious...
            Ex Estoril S50 '99
            Ex Porsche CarreraS 993 WideBody
            Ex TVR T350C Chameleon Blue
            Lotus Esprit 2002 V8 Twin Turbo

Comment

Had the same problem a while ago, it's not done it since though.

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum2/viewt...highlight=revs
              ----------------------------------
              MC4 - Mark - Black - 2000 - S50 - Manchester

Comment

Originally posted by BenH
                I have the identical problem.

Seems to manifest itself more in warm weather - has been fine over the winter but starting again now. Had by cable changed which didn't help. Maybe need to look at idle control valve next...
                Yeah!! I've noticed it more in the warm weather, didnt really do it in the winter, and remeber it doing it a bit last summer too.

Comment

With the warm weather approaching my car has started to do this... It dangerously revved up to 4k at lunch time today!

Does anybody have solution to this problem? As you can see here the problem is a not a new one! Moreover I have already tried replaing the ICV to no avail:

http://forum.bmwcarmagazine.com/viewtopic.php?t=58908

Help!
                  Out: 99 S50 Titan Silver V876 KKO
                  In: 98 S50 Estoril.......

Comment

Sounds like some temperature sensor is getting wrong readings, maybe.
                    S50 - '99 Estoril/Estoril-Black
                    Mods - KW 3 Coilovers, H&R ARBs, Raid steering wheel, Wiechers Sport half-rollcage & strut brace, Simota CAI, Powerflex front and beam bushes, Beyern Mesh 18".

Comment

Originally posted by MrMicko View Post

What sensor are you refering to? Where abouts is it located?

Comment

Yea mine revs to about 3k revs for about 30 seconds or so the the steering would also make noise for the first few minutes, any ideas????
                        What av ass

Comment

Originally posted by MrMicko
                          I would be grateful if you could shed some further light on your theory here, please....

Originally posted by oo7tk View Post
                          Yea mine revs to about 3k revs for about 30 seconds or so the the steering would also make noise for the first few minutes, any ideas????

I am going to replace the idle control valve again with a known "good one". This high revving fault is a real pita and needs to be sorted...

This fault also shouldn't be confused with the acceptable "normal" revving on start-up from cold, (we all would expect possibly up to 2k revs)....However, this fault however is something else.

Glad i'm not the only one that has experienced it.

Another point is that after the aforementioned high revving the car runs really well (better than usual). Almost as if a sticky gate / switch has been cleared...

Comment

Originally posted by h4pry View Post
                            What sensor are you refering to? Where abouts is it located?
                            I have no experience on this issue and I am just thinking that if the problem comes when the engine is warm it could be a faulty engine temperature sensor.
                            S50 - '99 Estoril/Estoril-Black
                            Mods - KW 3 Coilovers, H&R ARBs, Raid steering wheel, Wiechers Sport half-rollcage & strut brace, Simota CAI, Powerflex front and beam bushes, Beyern Mesh 18".

Comment

I don't think mine revs over when 1500rpm started up for the first time.

Comment

Working...
                              X